03 Cobra... usefull information?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by victionone, Aug 15, 2007.

1. victionone

victionone New Member

I've been getting bored with my current vehicles and am considering a 2003 Cobra as my next new car. I have a 2004 Ford F-150 that bought brand new new and that thing is a piece of crap, so my experience with Ford has been very negative. I would of been screwed if it wasn't for warrenty. So how are these Cobras? Any common prooblems I should be worried about? What is a popular forum for them?

I don't plan to mod it to heavily since my last car was and it became a burden to drive. I just want to have a nice driver with some bolt ons with occasional trips to the drap strips a couple times a year. I know the 03 Cobras are IRS and the newer GT500's were switched back to solid axles. How is the IRS?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I heard a mechanic the other day say that Ford vehicles account for < 30% of the traffic on the road and 80% of the average car shop's workload. Not nice numbers.

Get a Nissan or something.

3. Cicatrize

Cicatrize $user_title

It depends on what you want it for. If you're going to drag race it, you're going to have to eventually upgrade the rear end to solid axle. If not, the IRS is actually nice to have. The Terminators (03-04 Cobra) are very nice, and can be modded nicely as well.

I love my '05 Mustang GT, though. Solid 31 spline 8.8 rear ftw with 5k clutch dumps at the track. :)

4. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Yeah, those numbers sound real official, and Nissan definitely has a match for the 03/04 Cobra. You're an idiot.

Terminators are extremely reliable and the build quality was excellent. Though if you had trouble maintaining an F150 a Cobra might not be for you. A vehicle with a lot of problems is a vehicle that is poorly maintained. It's that simple.

If you do go for it, you can check out svtperformance.com. With just bolt ons you can safely get a Terminator making 500+ rwhp. If you really want to embarrass people at the track you can usually find someone that will trade you their live axle straight up. The IRS is more prone to wheel hop but it's more than capable of making a good pass. It just depends on whats important to you.

5. E-dub

E-dub New Member

How do you continue to post here without knowing shit about cars? And is that really you in your avatar? If so, go build post count at http://www.ireallyneedahaircut.com

Cobras are awesome, extremely reliable, sound great, look great, etc. The IRS killer is wheel hop which is easily remediable; MM&FF had a 6speed/IRS shootout 2 years ago where they had '03's running as deep as 9's on virtually stock T56/IRS. The IRS is awesome, makes the car handle less like a pickup truck and more like a true sports car.

Issues to be aware of:

1.) T56 input shaft. For some reason, Ford decided to use a 10 spline instead of a 26 spline input shaft on the 6 speed. Easy fix, buy a 26 spline Viper input shaft from Liberty Gears, pop off the front case, remove old shaft, pop in new one, apply RTV and rebolt. Install 26 spline clutch disc and you are set to go.

2.) While you have the transmission dropped, the left heads on these cars run a little hotter than the right bank because they do not have coolant returns. Check out http://www.modularfords.com for info on where to get stuff to run a return line here and ensure cooler operation of the left bank.

3.) Build/body. even though the heart and soul of this car is hand built in the now nonexistent legendary SVT factory, the rest of the car is still an SN95 "New Edge" assembly line hack job. Meaning, at 30k, stuff is going to start to rattle. Solution: Install sub-frame connectors.

4.) They are way too high from the factory. Cheap fix: Drop the car with H&R lowering springs. Expensive but handles awesome fix: Maximum Motorsports makes amazing coilovers for these cars (I run MM's on mine, it road races like a champ).

None of these things HAVE to be done to ensure success but if I were to get a Terminator, these would be at the top of my list.

With intake/exhaust/ported blower/tune/pulley, expect around 500whp and 11's with good driving while maintaining 20+ mpg on the highway.

6. deusexaethera

Take your neo-conservatism and stick it back up your ass where it belongs. I like my hair.

BTW: it's pathetic that Ford can't get their IRS to keep from wheel-hopping. It's not hard to do. And I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I was quoting someone else; those aren't my numbers. As for knowing shit about cars...well, you know, I'm just not even going to touch that one. American cars are not all cars.

7. I hate ford, but I'll admit the 03-04 cobras are not bad. Seriously, they're better than a Passat!

All IRS is prone to wheel hop. It seems it IS hard to keep them from doing it. My 90 Vette hopped, my 92 vette hopped, my 95 BMW M3 (yeah, that's right, even some glorious german masterpeice of engineering) had terrible wheel hop, my 99 Vette has wheel hop.

8. E-dub

E-dub New Member

I doubt you know anything about ANY cars, American or not. Now touch that. Spewing useless information as if you know anything is retarded.

Those numbers were taken out of context. Did you ask him how many of those cars are of Focus, Mustang or Powerstroke Diesel variants?

Yes, the wheel hop is there from the factory but can be remedied by the aftermarket. Does not mean the entire IRS should be discounted because you have to spend a weekend updating it. I'd rather spend a weekend making my IRS trackable than drive a mullet-axle.

And you will meet more girls if you cut it. Win-win situation really.

9. deusexaethera

I did not ask what cars were represented in those numbers. As noted, I heard a mechanic saying that, i.e. it wasn't my conversation. Knowing the guy to be completely brand-neutral, though, I seriously doubt he was pulling numbers out of his ass just to convince the guy he was talking with to buy a Chevy instead.

Personally, I don't have a problem with modding a car to fix factory deficiencies, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to forgive the designers for neglecting to fix problems that are so easy to fix that some dude with jackstands and a torque-wrench can do it himself with a kit in a few hours. That kinda shit should be taken care of by the people who are paid to take care of it.

- - -

Oh, and while you may meet more girls if you cut it, it'll be harder to make them happy because the ride will be more harsh. Take that any way you want to.

EDIT: Oh. Heh. I thought you were talking about lowering springs. Doh. Anyway, the hair stays.

10. Cicatrize

Cicatrize $user_title

Shit, my mustang with a live rear had wheel hop before I put LCA's on it.

11. E-dub

E-dub New Member

And what he was saying probably had nothing to do with Cobras. They only made 12k total vs. 800k F150's PER YEAR. The Cobra is the least likely car to be generalized by any brand talk.

As for having to update things the factory did not, remember that Ford as do other companies design these cars to be driven as stock. Otherwise there would be no reason to modify cars. If you are going to run a Kenne Bell blower at 700whp on one of these, those mods are a good idea. At stock power, you will not run into any problems.

12. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Excellent post :eek3:

I've toyed with the idea of selling my S197 for a Terminator, but I love the new interior compared to the SN95 stuff :hs:
    HMMMMMMM

13. CJPA

CJPA New Member

hey dipshit, wheel hop tends to happen in any car if you're putting down close to 400hp/tq and dumping the clutch at high rpms :ugh:

14. CJPA

CJPA New Member

lol @ all arguments related to cars getting girls :rofl:

15. danonboost

danonboost I invite you

[​IMG]

:rofl:

What the shit are you talking about? :greddy:

Speaking of lemons:

[​IMG]

HAHA! Looks like MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Where do I even start with the VW track record as of late? On second thought who cares.

Seriously.

You're right. No need to bother, we can all check out your stupid questions on[SIZE=-1] www.passatworld.com/forums[/SIZE]

Interested to hear your brilliant solution. Not really since you have FWD car and I doubt the ancient Mazda you had gives you any insight.

Reality:
    Douche bag trolls aside, the 03/04 cobras are great cars. I love mine. I was never huge mustang fan but after reviewing the awesome hardware and reasonable price it seemed like the way to go.

I've been putting out 589/577 tire for about a year now; still on the stock clutch. No issues to report. Amazing bang for the buck.

As for the IRS; guys are running 9s and 10s with 6-850RWHP on the stock half shafts. I fixed my wheel hop by simple changing to real tire like a BFG Drag Radial.

You'll seriously love the car. Find a nice stock one with low miles and go to town. DO IT.

16. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

17. deusexaethera

Yes. I registered on there to read about the problems people were having. I've had not a single one.

As for PassatWorld, please, feel free to read my posts. You might learn something about how modern engines work.

18. The point is that there is an entire site dedicated to quality problems with those shitty cars.

19. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

WOW! That's the verbal ass-kicking of the day...

As for the '03/04 Cobras, there's a reason they bring good money. It's a brute of a car with superb potential.

20. deusexaethera

The solution for wheelhop -- without making the suspension much more intricate, which Detroit obviously hates to do -- is to adjust the suspension travel path so that the wheels move forwards slightly when they move up. What this does is allow the rear wheels to lose grip smoothly when they try to move forward, instead of being jammed into the ground such that the flexible parts (the axles and the tires) build up tension until they tear free from the pavement. Of course, angling the suspension in this manner causes the back end to squat a bit on takeoff, and causes bumps to be more harsh -- though nobody driving a Mustang Cobra should care about that.

http://www.myfordlemon.com/
    http://www.chevylemon.com/

Oddly enough, while I could find personal gripe sites about Chrysler and Dodge cars, I couldn't find any that had forums in them for people to log in and bitch. Maybe DaimlerChrysler's German management was good for something after all.

- - -

Now, would any of you pussyhurt bastards like to get back to answering the OP's question, instead of wasting your time attacking my opinion?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  21. victionone

victionone New Member

Crapcake,
    Poor maintenance? How about warped front rotors at 5k miles? Brought it back to the dealer and Ford said this is a common problem. Then the engine started to stall out of no where and would even happen in the middle off the freeway. Ford also said this was common problem and the throttle body had to be replaced and computer reflashed.

Edub,
    Thanks for all the info. I also found SVTperformance.com yesterday night.

22. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Only after you stop post whoring your stupid fucking non-contextual Reader's Digest quips.

23. E-dub

E-dub New Member

SVTperformance is okay but more elitist than helpful. Modularfords.com is where it is at. Their vendor boards are awesome as well.

24. Dodgers

Dodgers OT Supporter

But he fixed his by getting better tires. Great job, Einstein.

25. James May

James May OT Supporter

:ugh: are you serious, you believe that?

kill yourself.

Rather walk than drive honda/toyota/nissan crew represent.