'03 BlaZeR2 rear end suspension

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Conundrum, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Conundrum

Conundrum New Member

'02 BlaZeR2 rear end suspension

I've got an /02 BlaZeR2, and the front end sits up in the air higher than the rear end. It get's even more ridiculous when I'm towing my boat because of the extra weight from the trailer. I've seen other forums mention that they have the problem also, but there was no mention as to why this happens. The ZR2 pickup doesn't have this problem, and aerodynamically the front end should sit slightly lower than the rear. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a part / parts wearing out?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

it's because your BlaZeR2 has so much more weight to the rear than the pick up. It's very common after a while that the ass end starts to sag. You do have a couple of options. add-a-leaf pacs, daystar shackles, or a guy named Chris (Cknaffle) over @ ZR2.com makes and sells lift shackles for the rear. I have a set, haven't installed them yet, but they are very beefy and well worth the cash.

3. Conundrum

Conundrum New Member

great to know, thanks for the info. any idea how much his shackles cost? how difficult are they to install?

4. IntheWorks

between $45-75 depending on brand and lift. install is pretty straight forward. only problem some people run into is they have to drop the gas tank cover to get the shackle bolt out. But on a scale from 1-10 I'd give it a 2 or 3 difficulty rating. All you need is a jack and jack stands, and some wrenches and/or sockets. and some penetrating lube probably wouldn't hurt if you live somewhere with a lot of salt (like coastal, or salt from winter roads)

sign up over on www.zr2.com and look around, I'm pretty sure there are quite a few threads talking about swapping out shackles.

5. Conundrum

Conundrum New Member

excellent... thanks! :bigthumb:

6. IntheWorks

you have any more questions, just shoot me a PM or email...

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

If towing is an issue, I'd look towards a helper spring solution.

8. Conundrum

Conundrum New Member

**** UPDATE ****

for those interested, I took my BlaZeR2 in to have the rear end looked at. turns out the previous owner (or someone before I owned it) jacked up the front torsion bars, which is why the front end was sitting up higher. they must have plowed with the truck, and jacked up the front to equalize the suspension from the extra weight of the plow.

9. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

:rofl: I was just thinking to myself... he could crank the bars down a bit for a short term fix.

10. IntheWorks

I assume you took it to the dealer? 9/10 times they will tell you the t-bars have been cranked, but that's not the issue... the ass end of these blazers sag horribly. My t-bars have never been touched... you can kind of tell in this picture how the back end sags

[​IMG]

if you haven't, sign up over @ zr2.com and look at the boards. There's tons of info over there.

11. Conundrum

Conundrum New Member

i did take it to a dealer. good enough fix for me for the time being... i don't know a whole lot about vehicles, not as much as i'd like anyway. maybe some time in the future i'll get myself some new rear shackles, before my warranty runs out, and have a dealer install them. i'll have to figure out what size to get though... i guess i'd just go with stock, maybe 1" longer than stock, but beefier material and construction.

12. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Did you have it aligned after they messed with the torsion bars? When I had my Z I cranked mine up and didn't get it aligned. I blew through the ball joints really quick. After that I had it aligned and no more problems.

Man do I miss my Z...I still Visit Zr2.com daily though...good bunch of guys...