02 TA Needs New Tires :hs: v. best bang for the buck?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by M-1000, Jul 5, 2009.

1. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

3 years and 55,000km later i need some new tires. bought the car with Fuzion ZRI's, 275/40R17. pretty much running slicks on the front, and 2mm on the rear.

there are too many brands of tires out there and im not really sure what brand/model to go with. obviously im going to be keeping the same size, and z-rated, but not sure what to go with. i was never happy with the fuzions, as they are too hard of a rubber to get decent traction when needed, but they wore out fairly quick.

im looking at tire rack, as they have a good selection at half decent prices

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...e&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All

anybody have any suggestions?

cliffs: need new 275/40ZR17's for my TA. looking for superior dry performance and good wet performance

2. syP

syP OT Supporter

Eagle f1 Gs D3's... Best bang for the buck, and they are expensive.

If that makes any sense.

They are an 80,000 mile tire as well.

I have those on my G8, and I can pull mid 1.8 60's on them in a 245/45/18 format.

3. Chevy350

Chevy350 OT Supporter

I used some Continental ExtremeContacts or something along those lines from them on a 98 XJR, that where pretty good tires. Good wear ratings too, not as sticky as the stock tires but I wasnt gonna spend 400 bucks per tire for something that only lasts 10-15k miles. I think these cost about 160 back in '06.

4. topcat

topcat OT Supporter

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  5. did they change the compound or something? When I was shopping I remember alot of people complaining about the mileage they got out of them

:dunno:

fwiw, I have nt555's in the front, and 555r's in the back of my 2000 SS

6. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

i stopped by kal-tire yesterday (sadly they dont give me a work discount :( ), but the sales rep i was dealing with suggested the nitto 555's. $250/tire, includes road hazard warranty, mounted and balanced for $1,117. seems a little fucking expensive. this is CAD $ btw.

googled reviews on the 555's lastnight and not very many people are pleased with the wet traction. very easy to break it loose on cornering, and too fast around corners the tires will lose traction.

im almost starting to lean towards the goodyear F1 GS-D3's. little bit more money, but they seem to be the way.

i also read some bang up reviews for continental uniroyal rainsport 2. excellent in the dry and wet, almost the same, both rated over 9/10. except conti doesnt fucking list them in 275/40r17. they have 275/40r18, but not fucking 17 :mad:

this is going to take some research i think, as i cant justify spending over $1000 unless i know im getting the best bang for the buck :hs:

7. CJPA

CJPA New Member

It's times like these I love living in Arizona...summer tires all year :bowdown:

8. Personally I dont have any problems in the monsoon season here with the nitto's. But then again I never try and push them hard in the rain. Its a drag tire(a rather poor excuse for one but a drag tire none the less), its not meant to handle alot of water. And most good/great/excellent summer tires are gonna be the same way in the wet. If they are good in the wet, then the sacrafice some dry weather traction.

So as CJPA said "AZ ftw"