'02 Ford Taurus Questions... Help?!?!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mrchina, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Hey guys,

I own a '02 Ford Taurus... yes yes I know, huge piece of shit. Anyways, one of the pulleys for the belt on the engine is starting to squeak. The higher the rev's go, the louder the noise gets. The noise just started and the car drives fine otherwise, so I'm pretty sure it's the pulley wheel that's the problem. The belt looks fine still. The car has about 95k on the clock. Anyone know approx. how much this will cost to fix? I want to know some numbers before I start calling around. I've only lived in Columbus, OH for a few months so I'll more then likely take it to a stealership to get it fixed.

Could I be okay to just try to buy some WD40 or something similar and just spray the badboy down?

Also the car was starting to go funky when in park, or in drive at low RPM's. The RPM's would dip and come back, there was enough deviation in the RPM's that you could feel it. It wasn't major, but you could feel it. I felt like it was something to do with the fuel pump or filter, so I dumped in some additives for the last two times I filled up my tank that claim it clears the fuel filter up. So far, this has totally gotten rid of the problem. And since it has, it leads me to believe it was the fuel filter. Is it safe to continue to use those additives like that? Should I have that changed? Anyone know the costs associated with that?

2. caddymac

caddymac New Member

Are you sure the AC compressor wasn't on when the RPM's were fluctuating? Even in the dead of winter the AC will cycle when you have the HVAC set on defrost.

Don't spray anything on your belt, it will only make it worse. Probably need a new tensioner pulley or an idler pulley - those run about $40-60/piece.

3. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Yea, air was off. I tried to be a Dr. House and isolated everything that could be going on. When I also pressed on the gas it'd hesitate just a bit. It was fine at higher RPM's when crusing down the highway but not great at 0-10 mph speeds.

Thanks for your reply.

4. Sonic

Sonic Live every day to the fullest, for yesterday is go

How cold was it? Cold belts shrink and make noise until they get warm. When was the last time the belt was replaced?

5. mrchina

mrchina Guest

55 degrees or so. Last time belt was replaced? Good good question.

6. August Burns

August Burns New Member

My belt makes noise when its cold. I would replace the belt first before digging into the pulley.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No. WD40 is not a lubricant.

More likely, you had a bit of water in your gas tank, which of course would settle to the bottom, and the additive you used bound to the water and sucked it through the fuel system to get burned up. Which is fine.

If you think the fuel filter is dirty, it needs to be replaced. Nothing can clean the fuel filter. The reason why it's there is to catch non-soluble particles that would clog the injectors -- you wouldn't want to clean it anyway, because then those particles would...well...clog the injectors.

8. Mangina

Mangina New Member

I'd start with replacing the belt.

9. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Okay. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to the mechanics of auto's. I only know how to sell them, and the basics.... Thanks for the statements thus far.

As far as the fuel filter goes, I can imagine it hasn't been changed. Should I change it knowing the problems went away? I assume yes...

I have spring break coming up in 4 days and since I'm about 500 miles away from home, I just said "fsck it" and bought a plane ticket. I'm not driving 500miles unless my car is 100%, which it isn't... and I got the ticket for $160 which is less I'd spend on gas, food, toll's, dip, and wear and tear on the car its self.

Fortunately I'm a guy so I don't think I'll be taken for too much of a ride when I eventually find a local mechanic, but I don't know enough to argue with the guy either.

Anyone know a good mechanic in Columbus, Ohio?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  10. Drifter

Drifter wat

Probably Tensioner or Belt. One or the other. All very common on Tauruses.

If you're going to replace the tensioner, might as well do the belt as well.

11. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Get a socket set (metric), and a set of Torx sockets. You can likely change it yourself in minutes.

On some cars, you may need a belt tool to pull the tensioner back, though usually a breaker bar or wrench will do. Autozoo rents those pretty cheap if you need one.

12. mrchina

mrchina Guest

hey, thanks guys. I'm really in no position to do it myself unfortunately. My car is in a lot with about 5,000 other cars on campus, and I can't park it inside to do work to it. If I was at home I would love to try it, but I'm leaving my car on campus for spring break. I'd love to buy tools as well, but I don't have space for them.

13. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

change the fucking belt

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You don't need to go inside to work on the car, you just need a nice day and good lighting. Hell, almost everything I've done to my car was done by the side of the street at night with a light strapped to my head.

15. pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster Resident Ford Troll OT Supporter

If the belt tensioner doesnt fix it, it could be the cam sensor synchro. Im not sure which motor is in your car (most likely the 2v 3.0)... The cam sensor synchro will go bad and squeel its ass off. It is located right by the belt so it can sound like a belt noise. Replacement of this part requires a bit more knowledge and tools. Let us know how you make out