01 Mustang issues...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by nakedbrian3433, Apr 4, 2009.

1. nakedbrian3433

nakedbrian3433 I don't have time to bleed. OT Supporter

My check engine light came on a month ago on my 01 GT so i plugged in my Diablo tuner to pull the code and it said cylinder 3 & 4 misfire and exhaust bank 1 lean. Which I'm assuming is because cylinder 3 & 4 is not firing. :noes:

So i replaced my spark plugs because it was getting to be that time and 3 of my 8 plugs had excessively wear in one way or another. So they are now brand new. Resets the codes, drove the mustang for a bit and then the check engine light came back on. Now it's just cylinder 3 misfire and exhaust bank 1 lean. cylinder 4 is now fine.

My timing gun confirms that the harness for #3 is not firing so i swapped the COP(Coil over Plug) and spark plug with a cylinder i know works and still cylinder 3 does not fire. I could tell the spark plug had no signs of combustion but definitely fuel was present in the combustion camber.

Also in my Haynes manual it said to check for 12V coming out of the harness for that cylinder with the ignition on but not starting the engine and wont you know there is voltage but it wont fire the coil when the engines running.

What is the fix?

2. wouldnt a cylinder not firing lead to a rcih condition from all the unburned fuel from the cylinder? could it be a fuel injector issue?
    Im not sure just throwing it out there, that might be why swapping the coil didnt move the problem

:dunno:

3. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

I didn't see any mention of a plug wires change? Try changing wires and see if it may be a plug wire, I've seen them burn through or go bad.

4. figment

figment New Member

no plug wires on a 01 mustang

5. nakedbrian3433

nakedbrian3433 I don't have time to bleed. OT Supporter

:werd:

6. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

I agree with liberals. Swap the injector and see if that helps. If it is, you can get a used set of factory 19lb injectors from Corral.net Forums for really cheap.

7. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Oops, I fail :o

I know zero about Mustangs, I'm a little confused on suggesting an injector for a coil not firing, do they monitor each other and prevent one from the other not firing?

8. no the computer is showing a misfire, would could be he cylinder not firing at all, or detonating

if its detonating it would be an indication of a lean condition, which would lead me to check the fuel injector on that cylinder, especially considering that the problem didnt move with the coil

9. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

Tune would be off, 19lbs stopped in 98. They have like 21lb injectors.

10. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

that is what i was gonna post till i saw that he said he replaced the "coil on plug" and i was like ohh shit, i have no idea then♦

11. Hey, sorry man, somehow the first time I read this I missed that you confirmed the coil wasnt firing. My bad, I dont know why it wouldnt fire, sorry for confusing anyone.