01 Corolla

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by armond, Apr 9, 2004.

1. armond

armond New Member

Ok, I own a Corolla, a 2001 to be exact. before anyone says anything, I love Toyota, mostly for their demi-god of a car, :bowdown: The Supra, but also because they are reliable. I work about 60 miles away from where I live, and I needed someting with good gas mileage and something that would last for a long time. So seeing as Toyota has always been in the family, I figured why not?!

My dad has always had me thinking about making a sleeper, something that looks so mild and unaggressive, it cannot be seen as any type of competition. The Corolla IMHO is a perfect platform for such a thing. I can spice it up a bit, I have TRD rims in my shed, and I can get some TRD springs and suspension upgrades to give it a more aggressive stance. But even then it will still seem mild when next to say something like an Eclipse, 240, or 350. The thing is, this gives an edge.

Now here is the thing that I am considering. A company makes a turbo kit for my car, it has the following in the kit:

4-1 tubular manifold

Garrett T3 Turbo

2.5 inch downpipe

SF PFM Fuel System

SF Billet Aluminum Fuel Rail

SF Intercooler:

Mandrel Bent Intercooler Piping

TCC Works Type I Blow Off Valve

Steel Braided Oil feed lines and fittings

3/4" drain line and pan fitting

And it also has directions so that you can install. Feedback shows that it has good results, although Dyno results have yet to been posted. Although they did do a similar kit for the Celica GT-S.

Anyway, the kit is around $3300. I have waited a long time for a company to produce a kit that seems to be well made and of good quality. The turbo is adjustable from 4-18 PSIs. They say for daily driving I should not exceed 6, and perhaps 4 is a good number to run around town on.

I want to be the first one in my town to own a turbo Corolla, and in doing so, I can make some jaws drop at the Toyota Dealership when I go in for major maintenance. :bigthumb:

Your thoughts???

Thanks,
    Armond

2. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

uhh pretty cool i guess, i really hate the corolla though, just the way the steering wheel is and the seating..arg..

3. armond

armond New Member

Well, the seats can be replaced, although I have no problem with them. Did I mention I have the S version, so the seats and the steering wheel are kinda like the Celica's. Black in terior with red stiching and red highlights.

But does that turbo kit seem like a good deal?

4. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Thats not a bad deal for the whole kit. Will you install yourself? It would definatly be a sleeper...

5. armond

armond New Member

I would most likely install it myself, or with my buddy handy, he is a certified mechanic. He knows a bit more than I do.

Yeah seems to me the kit is pretty much a good value, and it has been said it works very well. In fact I have yet to hear a complaint about the kit from other Corolla owners.